Steps To Identify And Remediate Mold In Your Home
- May 5, 2017
- Posted by Steve
- Comments Off on Steps To Identify And Remediate Mold In Your Home
Mold is a severe problem that needs to be handled with care. It basically exists in every household that causes the deterioration of organic matter. Mold feeds off of organic materials as in cloth, wood or drywall and dampness is what gives mold the ideal condition to grow. If there is any water damage, mold grows at a fast speed that could be as quickly as two days.
Mold can create some serious health problems through the spores released into the air. If it is allowed to grow and spread unchecked, it can lead to respiratory issues, infections, allergic reactions among others. Whenever you encounter any mold problem, take care of it immediately.
Identifying the Mold
One of the surest sign of mold is the visible identification of the mold. It can appear as a discoloration on your wall, ceiling or floor. It can be any number of color from black, gray, pink, white to green.
However, not all discoloration is mold, some patches could be reason of dust, grease, pollutants or oils. To make sure it is old, use a few drops of bleach on the discolored patch. If the color of the patch vanishes completely or change its color, you have mold problem.
Mold even has a specific earthy and musty smell. If you smell that doesn’t feel right, especially in moisture prone areas, that can be mold. If you don’t see any discoloration but smell a strong musty odor, then it must be inside your walls.
To sum it up, here are the certain signs that determines the presence of mold:
- Humid conditions
- Visible signs of mold
- Musty odors
- Damp surfaces
- Discolored or stained walls and floors
- Peeled paint, bowed supports, warped walls and bubbling wallpaper
- Symptoms of mold such as coughing, wheezing, allergies getting worse, feeling lethargic, itchy feeling, running nose and difficulty in sleeping
Remediation is one of the most effective solution to clean up any existing mold while avoiding any exposure. Also, it prevents the new growth by addressing the source of moisture. This comprises of a series of steps that are presented here:
- First off, repair the water problem to prevent the growth of any new spores
- Close all the windows and doors to isolate the contaminated area and further seal the seams
- Mist the contaminated area to suppress dust
- Take professional help to remove the wet and mold damaged materials
- Discard them in plastic bags that are thick and secured
- Use a wire brush to clean the moldy surfaces and afterwards wipe the area. Then scrub the surfaces with a detergent solution and damp cloth
- Make sure all the affected areas are free from contamination that means no dust, dirt and mold
- Dry the cleaned area with the help of fans or dehumidifiers to evaporate any leftover moisture
Hire the Professionals
It would be a smart decision to call in professionals if you are experiencing severe case of greenish-black mold. A professional would be able to provide the best of services with effective and guaranteed results. Ensure that the professional is an accredited one with proper experience and expertize.
These are the ways that would help you in identifying and remediating the mold in the best manner possible. So, if the mold in your home needs to addressed or your basement crack needs repair contact us to make your home mold free and enjoy a healthy living!